Two killings in Timor-Leste prompt increased UN Police activity

20 November 2006: Two deaths over the past weekend impacted a relative period of calm in Dili. The Deputy Special Representative of the Secretary-General of Security Reform, Eric Tan and Acting Police Commissioner convened a press conference to update the media on the increase in police presence in troubled areas. The following is a transcript of that press conference.

Transcript of Press Conference

Date: 20 November 2006
Venue: UNMIT Conference Room
Subject: Update on security situation in the country
Speakers: UNMIT Deputy SRSG for Security Sector Support and Rule of Law,
Mr. Eric Tan Huck Gim and UNMIT Acting Police Commissioner UNPOL Emir Bilget
Present: Local and International journalists

DSRSG Eric Tan Huck Gim:
"Thank you very much for being here, all of you, at short notice. I am very pleased to be here and I will be using English during the interview because that is the major language that I know and Abe will be able to help if any of you require a translation. I arrived in Dili on 11th of November to assume this position of Deputy SRSG, and my role is in Security Sector Support and the Rule of Law. I hope to add on to the good work already done by many people here in UNMIT and contribute to the achievement of the mandate given to us. I will be one of two Deputy SRSGs in the mission, the other being in charge of Governance, Electoral and other development matters, and I hope to bring my contributions especially because I was here in 2002 and 2003 in the capacity of Force Commander, UNMISET. All this time from 2002, the attitude has been that we have great respect for the people of Timor-Leste; for its government; for its sovereignty. And I look forward to build on that respect so that I can be useful to your country. I have also some specific requirements to fulfill from the United Nations, which I will explain in a minute. (...)"


LIRE LA SUITE EN CLIQUANT ICI...




publié par Association France Timor Leste @ 01:06,

0 Comments:

Enregistrer un commentaire

<< Home